Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Finding a Topic

Sometimes I think, "Today I just wanna write." but I can't always find a topic. So I decided to just start writing and hope that a topic will find me.

I was kinda crabby yesterday. I've had extra kids this week (for a total of 8, make that 9, counting the Biggest Kid of All - my hubby) and so that meant extra cooking, extra laundry, and lots of extra noise. By suppertime my ears were ringing and I told them they could not talk to me unless they were bleeding from an artery or their pants were on fire! (This was a joke, of course. I think a couple of them took me seriously, though. :)

I had to laugh at snack time yesterday afternoon. I sent them all to the park after we got done with schoolwork (the little bit we managed to squeeze in anyway) and while they were gone I sliced up two cantalope and had it served up on plates on the table, ready for them to eat when they came in. They started to trickle back to the house, then it was like a shark feeding-frenzy! They were like little typewriters, snarfing from one side of the rind to the other. When they got done there were rinds scattered all over the table. I wish now I'd have taken pictures. Or video - they probably set a new world record for fastest disappearing cantalope. (How do you spell cantalope? Cantelope? Cantaloupe? Can't remember!)

Today is our last day with two extra boys, as their parents are coming home tonight. Even though it's been chaotic I know I'll miss them in the quiet after they are gone. I should say the "relative quiet" because I'll still have my own five plus one more for daycare. Mr. OneMore is quickly becoming part of the family though and finding his niche. It's not really like doing daycare. And the dog has certainly claimed him as part of her pack, especially considering the facewashes she gives him when his Mom brings him "home".

I'm thankful the weather has been so incredible lately, especially this week. The kids have played outside much of the time, and we've been walking to the park every day as well. Good, fresh air. And it gives me a chance to regroup and pick up the house a bit when everyone is outside. And check my email :).

Well, homemakey-type things are calling my name, and the kids all need breakfast. They slept in a bit this morning, as they were up late watching a movie with the Biggest Kid of All. Speaking of the Biggest Kid of All, I've yet to see a man who can get children more wound up than he can. He's a kid magnet. The Pied Piper on steroids. I told a friend the other day I'm going to get all the kids prescriptions for Ritalin and I'm going to get myself some Valium. I think I'll get a tranquilizer for the hubby too. You can imagine the noise level when he gets eight kids hyper and laughing, then the dog starts barking...

Anyway, I wish you a quiet, peaceful day. Add some chaos, and laughter, and maybe a few tears, and you'll have a family.

No comments: