Monday, July 28, 2008

A Vivid Memory

Today I was in my favorite store (that would be Wal-Mart!) and I had the most vivid memory of my dear Mother, who died last summer. I was getting material for Peachie to sew culottes for herself for camp, and the woman who was measuring out the yardage deftly flipped the bolts of cloth to get the 2 yards I needed, sliding the material through her hands and laying it down against the measuring stick on the table. Suddenly I remembered standing next to my Mom as she purchased cloth, and it was as though I was watching the lady measure and cut through the eyes of a little girl. I could remember looking at patterns with Mom, picking out notions and buttons and thread and many other fascinating things at the local seamstress' shop. I could hear the shirr and click of the scissors as the material was cut. My Mom could literally sew anything - and she often did without a pattern. She would make matching outfits for herself, my sister and I. We'd pick out pretty material together and matching lace or rick-rack, and zippers or elastic. We must have gone on many shopping trips together because this memory was so vivid - I could even smell the yard goods and remember telling her just what kind of outfit I wanted her to sew. How talented she was with so many things! I got such a lump in my throat that I was glad there was a couple of ladies ahead of me in the line - because I got a little teary-eyed remembering.

Now my dear Peachie sews on the machine my Mother once used. Mom passed many things down to my daughter - her love of literature, history, quilting, crocheting and now, sewing. When Peaches is sitting at the machine sewing away I can almost see Mom sitting there. She would have been so proud to see her granddaughter using the machine.

I miss you, Mom. I wish we could have been shopping together today, or that I could have at least called you and told you about these precious memories.

No comments: