Friday, July 25, 2008

Homestead In My Heart

Recently I considered renaming my blog "Homestead In My Heart" because I was reading a favorite blog of mine by a woman who is living the things I hope to do some day - like owning a country home, and raising lots of critters. She has all sorts of wonderful pictures on her blog, and the best recipes - most of them made from scratch. In one of her entries she encouraged her readers to consider themselves "homesteaders" wherever they are - if it's on their own land, in town, or even in an apartment in the city. I liked that thought, and since that day I have been considering our little corner of the world to be our very own homestead - even though we are renting a duplex in a small town. It's all about attitude. I'm doing many of the things I would do if were in the country - homeschooling, gardening, baking, cooking, homemaking, etc. - and with all the conveniences of town living! ;)

Peachie and I polished up her vintage dresser today (I love vintage finds! and this was given to us, such a blessing!) and so now all she has to do is have Daddy move it to her room and attach the mirror. She was also recently given a Captain's bed with drawers underneath (another blessing! Thank you Lord!!) and so she has plans to re-arrange her room once we are able to pick up the bed.

Peachie and I also went to the thrift store in our little town today as they have a monthly bag sale - all the clothes, shoes, purses, and even toys you can fit into a bag for five bucks. Well, we found enough to stuff the bag full AND I found something that thrills me to my toes because I have been wanting one for a very long time - a KitchenAide mixer with dough attachment!! WOOHOO!!! When I first saw it I passed it by, as they wanted fifteen dollars for it. However, they were also having 50% off everything - so I snatched it up after making sure it worked. It has two glass bowls and two mixer attachments, not sure how old it is but it is in nice shape and works great. And guess what - my hand-held mixer just died so I'm sure I would have spent at least $7.50 to replace it. Isn't the Lord good to give us the little desires of our hearts? Actually that wasn't such a little desire for me - it was very specific. I've been wanting a KitchenAide mixer for a long time, with the dough attachment - but they are very expensive. So it went on my "wants" list and I would have been content with a hand-held mixer. I think things like this happen to remind us that God cares about every detail of our lives. Now I just need to believe that someday...in His timing....He'll give us a little plot of land with a house and maybe a barn too where I can raise those critters! And I'm not talking about the kids!! ;)

1 comment:

Alexandria Knox said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a very fun day! Tell everyone hi for me, and tell LT G he is awesome!