Thursday, July 10, 2008

Breadmaker, breadmaker, make me a match...

Hello My Pretties,

I've tried several bread recipes in my breadmaker and have yet to find a winner. I plan to try a friend's tried-and-true recipe (I have had her bread before, it is fabulous) but I need to get things like lecithin, gluten and wheat berries. Wow, I'm adding all sorts of words to my vocabulary! Actually I don't know if I'll start out with wheat berries, as the only grinder I have is my hand-crank coffee grinder. All I can think about is Laura Ingalls in "The Long Winter" grinding berries for their (literal) daily loaf of bread during that winter of blizzards and starvation. Next thing you know I'll be making sticks of hay to burn to bake the bread and keep us warm...

Anyhoo if you have a good bread recipe, let me know!! I'm looking for 1.5 to 2 pound loaves of whole wheat bread for the breadmaker.

I tried a really good Italian Pinto Bean recipe today. I like it, and Things 1&2 both like it. The real test will be if the little ones eat it and most of all, if Kyle likes it. We'll have it for supper, along with two loaves of bread that I'm not 100% pleased with, but they're not bad. There's magic to making bread - and I ain't got it, as my Mama would have said. SHE could have made bread, of that I am sure, and she often did in her lifetime. She had all the makings of a domestic goddess. It must have skipped my generation!

Today Thing 1 is mowing at the neighbor's, and Thing 2 is there weeding the garden we planted with them. I guess the lettuce is growing by leaps and bounds. Maybe we'll have some of that with supper too. It's funny but I was a little weirded out by the lettuce when we had our first batch of it. I guess I'm used to it coming in a bag from the produce aisle!! Isn't that terrible?

Things 1&2 are heading to Encampment with Civil Air Patrol this weekend. Thing 1 will be gone from Friday through Tuesday (she assists a Senior Member of CAP who is blind) and Thing 2 will be gone from Saturday through the following Sunday. They are both very excited. It will be an interesting time with the oldest two gone. My three youngest are such busy bees that sometimes I have a tough time keeping up with them. I'm sure I'll be good and tired by the time the oldest two come home!! And next month they have Bible camp!

Well, I'm off to check on the little ones and get some work done. Kyle works late tonight so I need to get a few projects worked on. Like continuing the onslaught of getting through the basement storage!! Where's my timer?!?!

3 comments:

Alisha said...

Beth,
Cal has a great bread recipie that she uses in her machine. It is healthy to.
~Alisha

Capt Rivera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capt Rivera said...

Hello,

I was wondering if the encampment your refering to is the Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership encampment being held at Camp Grafton in Devils Lake, ND.

Your post describes two Civil Air Patrol members here perfectly.

If we are indeed refering to the same people, I want to tell you that the Senior Members you refer to (Name omitted)is doing fantastic.

I will name just a few of the accomplishments I believe she is most excited about:

Marching with members of the Army National Guard: She did amazing! She stayed instep and cept up with no trouble. She looked really sharp both marching and reporting in and out of the flight. By the time the experience was over, the National Guard personal all referred to her as Private (Name Omitted).

Today she repelled off of a 90 foot tower! This accomplishment has set a 1st time record at Camp Grafton and probably in the Civil Air Patrol!

She is an inspiration to all those here and should make you and everyone else very proud. Especially her Grand Farther!

Please visit our "Virtual Encampment website, pictures, videos and story's are being posted daily on the activities taking place. Still shots and Video of your daughter accomplishing these feats will be posted shortly.

The URL is: http://jdcle.spaces.live.com

Please share this with all who know her and post comments, all participants receive messages within 12 hours of posting.

If it happens that we are speaking of different people, please feel free to look around and leave comments anyway! Thank you!