Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blog Again, Blog Again, Jiggedy Jig

Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:00am from a nightmare I had. It was a weird nightmare, and I find it is a recurring one that I have often. Or at least the "theme" of the dream is recurring.

I dreamed (dreamt?) that I was yelling at the top of my lungs at someone who had made me really upset about something. The theme that is recurring with this dream is that in real life, when someone has upset me greatly or caused me stress, I will dream that I am yelling at them. Weird huh? Well, if you have been reading this blog for any length of time, you should know I am weird.

I think that this form of dream is my mind's way of decompressing. Because sometimes, sometimes I really do want to yell at people. Be honest now, you probably do too. Have you ever had someone say or do something really offensive to you, and it stuns you so you don't know how to react? I had that happen the other day. Someone gave me a sideways comment (which I hate - it's so manipulative) and the more I thought about what that person said, the more it bothered me. I finally took it to the Lord and poured it out to Him. But it might have helped at the time if I had been able to do what I do in my dream - yelled at that person. :) Not really.

Speaking of nightmares, I am now the mother of three teenagers. Our little Peanut turned thirteen on Friday. I remember a time when I wondered if she would make it past age one, let alone turn thirteen. Prior to her heart surgery when she was a year old, her health was pretty precarious. (For those of you who might not know, Peanut has Down syndrome.) For the first year of her life I had a recurring nightmare of when my doctor came into the room and told us he thought she had Down syndrome. It was as though I would rewind that awful news in my mind every night. But that stopped when she had her heart surgery. I realized then that her health and her life were so much more important than a diagnosis - and I loved her so dearly that the thought of losing her overcame the fear I had of raising a child with a disability. Her surgery was so successful, and she recovered so beautifully and thrived so completely afterwards, that I finally allowed myself to focus on the fact that she would be able to grow up. And she has been a joy to raise. I am very thankful she is a part of our family, and I would not want her to be any different than she is.

This weekend the Hubs is working the night shift, so I might be back to blog again. Because I can never sleep when he is not home. Me no likee the night shift. Maybe the dog can sleep in Kyle's place. Except she snores and yips when she sleeps. Oh wait, Kyle does that too. ;) I like to tell the story of a dream he had once that he was eating a giant peanut M&M. He woke up with his pillow soaking wet. True story!

Sweet dreams!!

No comments: