Tuesday, April 7, 2009

H.N. - This Blog's For You

I had a friend ask me yesterday when I was going to update my blog. I think that makes for 3 or 4 readers now. ;) But like I said before, I don't blog for the readers, I blog because I like to write. If someone gets some entertainment out of it, or laughter at my expense, then even better. I do worry about my friend though, if the only entertainment she is getting is from this blog. I'm going to need to take her out to dinner or something.

Yesterday I thought of the Most Clever Blog Title Ever but within a split-second it was gone from my mind! I absolutely hate when that happens. I will sometimes have a poem pop into my head, or the lyrics to a song - and if I don't immediately write it down I will forget it. Usually the poems come into my mind at night or when I wake up, so they usually don't get written down. I have a lot of unleashed poetry floating around my brain. I have a friend who can write these beautiful, thought-provoking poems that will just touch your soul. I can't do that with poetry though - if I think about the lines too much it never works for me.

Recently we've had lots of Adventures in Flood Fighting in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Kyle, along with Thing 1 and Thing 2, helped their fellow Civil Air Patrol volunteers to sandbag and build dikes in many needed areas. Thing 2 and I also went sandbagging a couple times in Dilworth and Moorhead. If you've never been sandbagging, you are missing out. I must admit though that my left shoulder is still recovering. I've bought a lot of Advil this past month!

One afternoon when Thing 2 and I were busily sandbagging at a site in Dilworth, they stopped all production and announced that Governor Pawlenty of Minnesota would be visiting the site. So they had us all gather into a group, and in the Governor walked with his entourage and a couple of security guards that looked like they could throw a really full sandbag a very long distance. The Governor (who I noticed smelled very nice in that dusty, cold and damp place that smelled like clay and wet sand - funny how you notice those things) stood just a few feet away from me and gave a short, inspiring little speech and pledged his help and support. And do you know what I did? I'm so embarrassed. I started to cry like a little girl. No, I'm not kidding. I was tired, sore and very concerned for many dear friends who were possibly in danger of losing their homes. After his little talk he of course, like any good politician, went around to shake hands. And do you know what he did? He shook my hand and asked me, "Are you okay?" Boy did I feel dumb. He probably thought my house was going under water as he spoke. (By the way, we were in no danger whatsoever of flooding where we live.) The poor Governor probably also thought I should be medicated in a locked room somewhere. His body guards were probably in high alert when he came over to shake my hand. Duh. Anyway, I told him I was just fine and went back to fill sandbags, but not before I sincerely thanked him for coming. It was an honor to meet him - but I wish I would have thought to have him autograph a sandbag or something!

So, that is all I have for now. H.N., if you are reading this, I'm sorry this isn't a better post. I'm a little tapped out now for writing. It's a mighty good thing I don't write for a living!!

No comments: