Friday, August 22, 2008

My Favorite Time of the Year

This morning when I went outside I noticed many leaves had turned color and fallen to the ground. September and frosty nights are just around the corner. I'm loving the chill that has been in the air tonight after several hot days this week. I want to snuggle up in a cozy sweatshirt with a good book and a cup of hot cocoa.

This time of year, when thoughts turn to getting back to school, is my favorite time of year. We got new school supplies for the kids today - backpacks, pens, pencils, colored pencils, crayons, markers, highlighters, rulers, scissors, protractors, erasers, glue, folders, notebooks and paper. The little ones were so excited about their new supplies that they kept their backpacks on all evening - even when they went to the park!

We officially started school this week, after about a month off. I typically don't take a long summer break. I like our schedule to stay pretty much the same year-round. And then when we do take an impromptu day off for fun, or if someone is sick, I don't worry that we are not getting enough school time in. Today we studied Bible, math, spelling, and two new countries from our list of countries of the world, which encompasses geography, history and social studies. Peachie also worked with the little ones in their activity workbooks. Next week we'll continue to work on reading with Punkin' and Peanut. I'm hoping PeeWee will even pick up on some of the reading, even though he is only five.

I'm a little blown away by the thought that our oldest is already in tenth grade - a sophomore!! I've picked out a Higher Mathematics course I want her to take and I'm still looking for a good high-school level science program. I have a few ideas there. She is talking seriously about possibly going to beautician's school. Right now her plan is to live at home for at least a couple years after she graduates. She wants to get a part-time job her Senior Year to save up for a car. After she graduates she also intends to take some courses at our church's tuition-free Bible college. She has also tossed around the idea of going into the medical field. I think I need to have her take an aptitude test to see where her strengths and weaknesses are. It might help if she can do a little job-shadowing as well. It's hard to grasp the thought that the little girl who was bouncing around like Tigger not so long ago is quickly blossoming into a young woman. The rest of the kids are not far behind her either!

I hope you are looking forward to Fall like I am - brightly colored leaves, crisp fresh air, ripening apples on the trees, warm cider and cocoa, baked potatoes and squash, cozy soft sweatshirts, football games, harvest ending, the garden's bounty reaped and stored - then on to Thanksgiving, then Christmas...Oh, the seasons fly by so fast.

Reflectively yours ~ Beth ~

No comments: