Saturday, May 24, 2008

My 40th Birthday

I celebrated my belated 40th birthday last night with another friend who also turned 40 - and many more friends who joined in the fun. I was a little mortified when the "Happy Birthday Song" people showed up on the scene - I had to shake a maraca - but I made my friend wear the obnoxious sombrero. After all it was her actual 40th - mine was about 3 weeks ago. On that day (April 26th) we had a BLIZZARD and I did not make it into town. I didn't know it, but friends had planned a surprise party for me. Oh well - we made up for it last night. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed visiting with Godly friends and laughing - and of course eating. I ordered a seafood burrito, much to my husband's dismay. He does not think seafood belongs in Mexican food, but I think it is good. I am happy today because I have the other half of the burrito for lunch, woohoo!!

One of my dear friends gave me a bag with all these candies/sodas that were popular when I was a little girl. Remember Pop Rocks? Those were my favorite. We all got a chuckle out of remembering all the goodies - chicklets gum, slo-pokes, bottle caps, snaps, bit-o-honey, lemonheads, fruit stripe gum, Nesbitt's soda - and much more. I felt like a little kid again on a summer day heading to the little grocery store on main street with money from my piggy bank - and loading my pockets with treats! Now I know why I had so many trips to the dentist as a child...

Even though today is a Saturday we will have school this afternoon as usual. Kyle works a 4-day week, Wednesday through Saturday, and he has Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. So when Daddy is at work we typically have school...unless we have some other activity or the beautiful weather beckons us to play outside!!

Last Saturday we planted a garden with our neighbor and I think we'll walk over there and see if any plants are daring to poke up out of the ground. It's still been so cold I think perhaps the seeds might be afraid to germinate yet! I'm sure the weeds are making progress though so I'll take the kids and we can pluck weeds. I sure did enjoy planting that garden - I have not done that since I was a little kid. And we'll enjoy the fresh vegetables even more, I am sure!

Yesterday we drove by a house and the garage door was open - and inside it was stuffed to the max with STUFF. I thought it looked a little like the "storage" side of our basement. I need to get through the many boxes and rubbermaid containers we have down there and get it organized. I still have some pictures and decorations I need to put up that are stored too - and we have lived here a year! So this afternoon I think I will put on my favorite movie - Little Women (with Winona Ryder) and sort through some boxes. Once I get going it probably won't take that long. I just hope there are no spiders lurking down there!!

I hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

In His Care ~ Beth ~

No comments: