Friday, July 10, 2009

Hello, Potato!

There's a gentleman at the Senior Living facility where I work who will often approach another gentleman who lives there, and he greets him by saying, "Hello, Potato!". The first time I heard him say this, it was in an unfriendly tone, and the gentleman he was greeting was rather puzzled and could not quite understand what he was saying. I've heard him say, "Hello Potato" in many different tones, but the other day, he said it in a friendly manner. I can't yet figure out if he is just using a nickname, if he does not like the other gentleman, or if it simply a type of banter he uses. Either way it makes me smile a bit and I find both the men to be very endearing.

Speaking of endearing, I'm loving the residents that I am working with. As I get to know them better, I find my heart melting more and more. The elderly have such a unique quality about them - some are child-like, some are forgetful, some are typically happy, and some tend to be unhappy and even crabby. But they all have a wisdom and insight I am hoping to learn from. I love to ask them questions about almost any topic. And I find that they are eager to share about their lives and experiences. One gentleman said to me, "I have enjoyed visiting with you and your children. It's so nice to have someone to...you know, to....well, just to listen." Indeed.

I have also observed something very interesting. There are a handful of residents who are often in a less than happy mood. A couple of them can be intimidating to me. But I have found that even those with the sourest dispositions melt like butter when my children are around. It's as though someone flips a switch inside them when they see my kids - and their smiles come out and their tender sides emerge - and for awhile they forget they are growing older and that sometimes life is hard and bleak. So I have been bringing the kids as often as I can and I'm hoping and praying that somehow we can make a difference in the lives of these very dear people.

There is one lady who Peewee has taken a particular interest in. For some reason, she reminds us all of my own dear Mother, and I think that is why he is drawn to her. She started an impromptu card game with him the other day, and before we left, she had all the kids playing with her and showing them the game. I hated to leave, they were all having so much fun. The next day, when I was in her room, she was just waking up and was in obvious pain in her joints and muscles. I said, "My children sure enjoyed playing cards with you yesterday." She immediately cheered up and said, "Oh I almost forgot about that! Thank you for reminding me, and for bringing your kids in to see us. That was fun!" And for a moment, she seemed to forget her pain. I got a little choked up as I finished up in her room. She reminds me so much of Mom.

So my job is going very well, and it is helping to fill a void that I have had ever since my parents died - not only in my life, but in the lives of my kids. They have missed my parents very much, and they miss Kyle's parents too, who we don't get to see as often as we would like.

So, goodbye, Potato. I hope you have a good weekend. :)

No comments: