Thursday, May 14, 2009

Working Mother

I am one of those people who has always chuckled inwardly (sometimes I laugh outright) at the term "Working Mother". I've yet to find a Mom who doesn't work! I guess that is why they call the beginnings of physical motherhood "labor". From the moment that baby is brought into the world, there is always something to do. I could make a very long list here of all that mothers do, but I'd probably crash my computer, and maybe even bring down the whole worldwide internet. I really don't want to be responsible for all that. Suffice it to say that the words work and motherhood are synonymous.

That being said, work has a new meaning in the Grove household. Our finances have dictated that it will be necessary for me to work part-time outside of the home. I had an interview this morning and have been hired at Hawley Assisted Living, where I will be starting out in Housekeeping, then getting training and moving up to Home Health Aide. I'm excited and scared and happy and apprehensive, all at the same time!! It's been quite a few years since I've earned a paycheck, so this will be a leap for me. For so long, my focus has been husband, kids and home (and it will still be my first priority) but now that I'm "branching out" and adding more responsibility, I've had to switch gears in my mind.

Kyle and I have come to this decision with much prayer and contemplation. Thankfully the director who hired me is sensitive to my need to keep our home and homeschooling my first priority, and she is willing to schedule me on the days that Kyle will be home, for the most part. Things One and Two can handle the occasional times that both of us will be gone.

I'd appreciate your prayers as I find the balance with my new schedule, and that we'll all make a smooth transition to me working outside the home.

By the way, this is all D.M.'s fault, because she pursuaded me that there is better coffee out there than Folger's Black Silk. The real reason I need to work is to be able to afford my addiction to Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

So it's all her fault. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to me. Your blog post was very touching. Making the decision I'm sure wasn't any easy one. I appriciate your honesty and can see the love you have for your family. You and your family are in my prayers. The Lord will bless.