Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blog Slog

I love reading other people's blogs. And I love to write. Often, though, I don't know what to write about. Hence the title of this blog - because lately it's as though my mind is stuck in mud.

I thought I'd at least update you on our latest news. We are surviving this very cold winter, with lots and lots of snow. There have been days we have been stormed in, and days when it has been dangerously cold - too cold to venture out. In between those days the kids have been getting in lots of skating and some sledding.

Kyle's niece, Cherith, has been improving. Thank you to everyone who has been praying. This situation has weighed heavily on our hearts, but knowing we have friends and family who are spending time in prayer has made the burden lighter. You can read about Cherith's condition at www.caringbridge.org/visit/cherithgrove If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it into your browser.

Today I have a dentist appointment. I hate, repeat hate, going to the dentist. I don't like the sounds, the smells, and the pain. I've often said I'd rather have a baby, alone in the woods without any help, than go to the dentist. If they gave me a choice, such as, "Root Canal...or....the RACK" I'd say, "I'd like the rack,please." Or perhaps, "Cleaning and X-Rays...or....Waterboarding?" I'd say, of course, "Waterboarding". Hands down. Give me the torture, thank you very much.

I've cried in the dentist's chair before. Cried like a little girl. I can't remember why I cried, the trauma of it all has erased my memory of the event. My hazy memory recalls something about a root canal and searing, white-hot pain. But I DO remember thinking, "If the assistant that I know walks by right now I'm going to take Mr. Slurpy and stick it in my ear and suck my brains out." Because I would have died from embarrassment if he (the assistant, not Mr. Slurpy) had seen me crying. Having your mouth open for long periods of time, and drool and spit and the knowledge that they can see up your nostrils is bad enough. Crying in the dentist chair and having someone see my little meltdown would have sent me over the edge. I dangle precariously close to the edge on a regular basis, and it's not because I like the exhilaration!

So, soon I will be off to flirt with the edge again. I just have a cleaning and exam today but I'm bracing myself for bad news. Because, as much as I wish to deny it, I'm concerned about the left side of my face, where I have been having swelling in my jaw. (Actually I get concerned about my whole face, but that is just when looking in the mirror. :) It started out as a virus a couple weeks before Christmas, and my lymph glands have been swollen. But the swelling has continued in my jaw and it causes discomfort. If I have an abcess I think I might just cry in the chair again! There's something to be said for dentures, let me tell you!!

I'll update you on my Adventures with the Dentist once I get out of the psych ward. K? ;)

1 comment:

Martha said...

I am with you - I HATE going to the dentist! I cried the last time - and that was just a couple of years ago. I will pray for you.

~Martie