Friday, December 12, 2008

An Irritating Scam, and A Wonderful Blessing

If you have read my blog for any length of time, you are aware that I tend to use writing as an outlet for my frustrations. During the first portion of this post I am going to "vent". It's soapbox time, kids!

Recently while perusing Craigslist I came across an incredible deal, one that I could hardly believe existed. (In hindsight, that thought alone should have been a red flag.) Someone was selling a baby grand piano that looked like it needed minor repair and cosmetic work for just $250! They said all the keys worked, and that the foot pedals would need to be re-attached. I spoke with the person who placed the ad, and we exchanged emails and more pictures. I informed them I was very interested, but I would not have the money until January or February, and that we would not be able to see the piano or possibly make the purchase until then. (The people supposedly live several hours away from here.) I also told them I would understand if they got a buyer before then. I set the whole idea on the "back burner" of my mind, but did make it a matter of prayer. I figured if the Lord wanted us to have this piano, He would make a way. Well...today I got an email, the buyer claims he has received several phone calls and emails informing him his piano is worth between $3,000 and $5,000 and he was going to "hang onto it", unless I was of course able to offer him substantially more money. Now, I wasn't born yesterday. As one of my friends likes to say, "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck!" I had done a little research on this piano, and if it was fully restored, repaired and tuned, it might fetch as much as he claims. But it's not worth that much money in the condition it is in. So, I sent him back an email, expressing my doubts and concerns. I guess the moral of this story is that if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. The hard part is that this potential opportunity really tugged at my heartstrings. You see, my parents had promised to buy me a grand piano one day, if I continued to take piano lessons all through high school, but they were never able to afford one. Up until last year I had my childhood piano, but when we put our belongings into storage prior to moving here, I gave the piano to my sister. I could not bear putting the piano into storage - I knew it would damage it. It was a good thing I didn't too, because some of our belongings were water damaged, in spite of the storage facilities owner assuring me they'd "never had water problems". Anyway, I have really missed having my piano, and this seemed like such a good opportunity. I could envision my family gathered around the grand piano, singing together, giving my children piano lessons, enjoying the sound only a grand piano can make. *Sigh* Oh, well. It stinks to be scammed. I am very thankful that I didn't "fall" for this person's claims. The main reason I know it's a bogus situation is that he reposted his original offer (which I initially saw a month ago when I first contacted him) just this morning. I wonder what is missing in a person's life to cause them to scam someone else? I will need to remember to pray for this person.

On a more positive note, we received an incredible, awesome blessing this week. We have had a major need, something we have been praying about for quite some time now. God met that need this week, and I want to give Him praise and thanks for this abundant blesssing!

Our Christmas Cantata is this Sunday, provided we don't get the awful winter storm the weather service is predicting. If you are local, and we don't get snowed in, I hope to see you there! It's at the Fargo Baptist Church, at 6:00pm - and Kyle, Peachie, Pickles and I all have speaking parts. I'm nervous! There's something very nerve-wracking about having that tiny microphone attached to my ear. I wonder if I have a phobia? Please pray it will go well - and that we'll remember all our lines! I hope you have a safe and warm weekend!

In His Care ~ Beth ~

No comments: