Monday, June 23, 2008

19th Wedding Anniversary

Today is our 19th wedding anniversary. We were at the wedding of our Pastor's oldest son this past weekend, so that brought back a lot of good memories for both of us.

Nineteen years ago, at this very moment, I was at the hair salon getting my hair done for the day. When I woke up that morning it was pouring rain outside but I was so happy I did not even care! The sun did come out though, although later it got up into the 90's and was very humid. The church did not have air conditioning - and I wore long sleeves that day - but again, I was too happy to even care. Just before the reception it began to rain cats and dogs - and then it began to hail. (Someone told us later that if it rained at your wedding you would be rich, and if it hailed, you would have a lot of kids. Well...you can't have both, I say! So I guess we are rich...in children!!) When we got to the reception the power was out, so someone found a bunch of candles and lit them. My silly Dad jokingly said, "Let there be light!" and just then - the power came on!! He laughed about that for years.

Before we knew it, the reception was over and we were off on our wonderful honeymoon. What a terrific vacation we had together - we went to Fargo for the weekend and then went to Tom William's Christian ranch in the Ozark Mountains. It was beautiful but ugh - I got carsick. A girl from the plains is not used to all the ups and downs of mountain travel!! We spent a glorious week at the beautiful ranch and there was preaching every night. A great way to start a Christian marriage!

I remember all the planning, the excitement, and the decisions we had to make. I was so excited to be getting married and thinking of the "Happily Ever After" that it was almost impossible to fathom that we would ever face any obstacles. I had intentions of being the best wife ever and never having a disagreement with my beloved groom. I must say now that my notions of love and togetherness were very immature - but I suppose that is a good thing. If all married couples could look down the road they would probably run the other way! I do know this much - that all the triumphs and trials have bonded and strengthened Kyle and I. We have weathered many storms together and have become closer through each one. The love I have for my husband now is not the same as it was 19 years ago. It is deeper and stronger and more meaningful than it has ever been.

Someone gave us a card for our wedding where they wrote, "A wedding lasts one day. A marriage lasts a lifetime." I'm so thankful for a Godly husband. I'm so grateful to God that the day I looked into his eyes and made my vows to him that I know he meant his own vows to me with all his heart. When God brings a couple together there is such beauty and strength in it.

I love you honey - through sweet and sour. Happy 19 years together. ~ Your "Phyllis" ~ (As in Phyllis Diller. He called me that our first morning together because my hair was sticking out all over the place!!)

1 comment:

Prairie Dwellers At Heart said...

Love your posts!

Thanks for keeping out the "fluff" and keeping in the "real" life stuff.

Happy Anniversary wishes to a very
sweet couple.

In Christ,
The Mohs' ( :